Monday, December 6, 2010

EricNog Ice Cream

So this time I decided to make my own ice cream with an egg nog ice cream recipe.

To make the ice cream you must take four eggs and seperate the yolks, because only the yolks will be used. Then mix 1-1/4 cups of milk, 3/4 cups of cream, and 1/3 cups of sugar in a pot and bring them to a boil. Once that mixture is at a boil, it must be poured into the eggs very slowly, then stir it until it's mixed well. Then you add as much nutmeg as you like, until you think its been nutmeg-ed enough. Add a little bit of vanilla extract and your ready to go. Just put it on the stove for a little bit more and then chill it for 6 hours. Once its been chilled for a sufficient amount of time you can then put it into the ice cream machine. Everybody's ice cream machine is different so I'm not sure about one that you might have, but mine is most certainly old fashioned, I had to put big chunks of ice in it and everything. However, the ice cream did come out very nice, really creamy although, I might have used a little too much nutmeg, It was a little bit strong.

Now it may not look as appetizing in the picture, but that's because I didn't think to take the picture until I had a couple bowls.

I've heard that homemade ice cream loses it's flavor and texture the longer that it stays in the freezer, and this was true as well for my ice cream. I may be a biased source, but my ice cream was on par with Oberweis' ice cream when it was first made, afterwards it did lose some flavor and was less creamy. Despite that, it still ended up adding a great desert to thanksgiving dinner.


1 comment:

  1. Most definitely making some this weekend..no one else in my family likes egg nog but me so i will have the ice cream all to myself

    ReplyDelete